Shells on display Fossil plant
Explore. Question. Investigate.
With thousands of objects, animals and fossils at your fingertips the Discovery Centre is a showcase of the museum’s collection and provides a rich interactive experience for all visitors.
The Inquiry Zone is a hub of information and activity. Meet our staff, ask a question or find out more about our research and collections. This is the perfect space to begin you journey of discovery.
Things to see and do
- Explore thousands of specimens and objects in the Collection Store to get a glimpse of the museum’s unique and diverse natural and historical collections. Spiders, snakes, birds, objects and artefacts are all showcased.
- Get hands on in the Activity Zone. Touch and interact with museum objects, discover minute details of animals and insects using real scientific equipment.
- Observe up close our living animals. Creature Feature contains live insects and reptiles from our unique Queensland habitats. Learn about their lifecycles and observe their behaviours.
- Investigate how a Shark can tell the story of what the museum does with the objects and specimens it collects.
- Discover answers to your questions about Queensland’s natural, social and cultural history. Speak with staff, peruse our books, log onto our computers and explore our specimens and objects.
- Join in one of our programs such as Daily Discoveries and Meet our Curators or follow our Digital Discoveries Trail.
Hear some amazing stories and facts as we focus on something special in the Discovery Centre. You might learn about our remarkable Australian native animals, or amazing objects and stories from our collection. Topics change regularly; you never know what you might discover. Daily 11 am and 2 pm.
Meet our curators
Meet a different curator or special guest most Wednesdays at 1 pm in the Discovery Centre as they bring special objects from the collection to life. They will take you on a unique journey of discovery, where you can get up close with real museum collection items, learn about our social history, uncover the amazing discoveries and work of our scientists and share your own stories and experiences. Subject to change without notice. Contact the Discovery Centre on 3840 7555, to find out the topic for the next session.
Digital Discoveries Trail
Take a digital journey though our collection at Queensland Museum. Use your smartphone, iPhone or iPad to scan the QR codes next to special objects and explore hidden secrets in the Discovery Centre. Watch a live snake being handled by our expert staff and listen to the music of a wax Pianola roll.
Can’t visit the Discovery Centre?
Try our Find out about section, view a fact sheet or ask an expert.