Lawn mowers, neon signs and even fingernails are among the objects featured in our new exhibition, Collectomania.
Take a peek inside the private collections of Queenslanders and see how our State’s collectors gain meaning and identity from their collections.
Collectomania highlights a very human passion – collecting the things we love, fuelled by a sometimes unexplainable drive or desire to find the next perfect addition, preserve a moment in time or celebrate beauty, function and achievement.
From a meticulous reconstruction of a “hobbit hole” to washing machines, street art stickers and items preserved from Brisbane’s iconic Regent Theatre, Collectomania might just bring out the collector in you!
Things to see and do
- Be astonished by the diverse range of objects collected by people in our communities.
- Create your own collection using magnetic images of museum objects.
- Discover a “time capsule” of objects found in the backyard of one inner-city residence.
- Listen to collector’s personal stories about their motives and desire to collect.
- Remember places you may have visited, as snow domes, spoons and postcards reveal journeys and evoke your memories.
- Celebrate and recollect your own experiences at concerts, races, theatres and theme parks
Made a connection with a collection? Opportunities to exchange objects and stories are available through Collector Information.
- Arrange your own display with the interactive online activity, Celebrating Culture.
- Our curators share what they are currently collecting and researching with a selection of short video clips.
- Book a school program for a dynamic Museum visit experience. Hands-on programs explore what, why, who and how museums collect, care for and share collections and stories.
Meet Your Museum (Prep - yr 3)
Inside your Museum (yr 4 - 7)
- Borrow Museum specimens and artefacts from QM Loans for displays, activities or evidence-based inquiry.